So far, I'm loving being a mom. I fully expected a difficult transition emotionally and otherwise, but I guess when you go in with such low expectations, you're bound to be surprised. I feel lucky to be so.
Speaking of surprises, I'm surprised how well I've taken to this newborn phase too. Being the selfish person I am, I hadn't really been a huge fan of newborns before because they didn't fulfill my need for interaction. But with Lauren it's different. She's so freakin small and adorable--I past few days, and I'm not really sure I want that trend to continue. My dad's always joked acould hold her and stare at her and talk to her all day. In fact, I've noticed her getting bigger the bout pituitary gland removal for his grandchildren...but now I'm not sure he's entirely kidding. It really would be nice to be able to keep them small. But then again, it's not like they get any less adorable as they get bigger. I hope.
Of course, with a newborn who can only cry to communicate, I've had a few questions. As I've perused various sources for answers, this is how I've felt:

I'm not going to say any more about that.
Some of you may be wondering about my birth experience, and I haven't decided which version of the story to tell here on the blog: the long or the short. I should probably stick to the short since that will turn out to be long anyway.
I had my first real contraction the morning of Monday, February 9. Contractions continued to come intermittently throughout the day, but became more regular long about 4 pm. By 9:30 pm they had been regular enough for long enough that the doctor told me to get to the hospital by 11 pm. Of course, I was running late and didn't get there until about 11:30. Typical Lindy. I was dilated to a 3, so the hospital kept me. Contractions kept coming regularly, 2-5 minutes apart and 1.5-2.5 minutes long each for the rest of the night. I was having back labor, but was able to manage the pain without medication for the whole night.
Long about 5 am, the contractions kicked it up a notch in intensity and I was between 4 and 5 cm dilated. It was demoralizing to realize that six hours of long and painful, regular contractions only yielded a centimeter and a half of progress, especially since I had been up all night and was exhausted. I asked the nurse how long a typical labor might last, and she estimated 5 more hours. Well, I may have had that much more in me, but I knew if I kept going like I was, I would likely have been too thrashed to enjoy Baby L when she arrived. I decided instead of proving my strength to myself, I wanted this delivery to be as happy an experience as possible for all of us, and I requested an epidural. What a relief! Now I know why my friend Rachel calls it the Holy Epidural.
My labor kept progressing to not quite 7 cm dilated until 8:30 am, and then completely stalled out. We waited to see if things would progress before my doctor broke my water. She did that. Then we waited to see if things would progress before throwing petocin into the mix. Finally, long about 5:30 or 6 pm, I got a "whiff" of petocin and that got the labor up and running again. I was pushing at about 7 pm and Lauren emerged an hour and 45 minutes later. She was placed immediately on my chest and I got to just hold her for a while before she had to get cleaned up and weighted, etc. I was suprised that the new baby slime didn't gross me out and that she didn't look like a lizard to me.
Please don't hate me for saying this, but I loved my labor. It wasn't a tiptoe through the tulips, of course, but it was overall very focused, peaceful and happy. Kelly and my mom were the perfect support team, and I also received fantastic care from the hospital personnel. I went through four shifts of nurses, but each one who was assigned to me was the perfect personality to have around for that particular phase of my labor. My doctor checked on me a couple of times during labor, and arrived before I started pushing. She stayed with me the whole time and really made sure things went as smoothly as possible. I feel very blessed.
See? I told you the short version would turn out long. But there you have it. Thanks MommaLesa for holding Whoosh while she sleeps so I could have some time to type this up. Yes, we still call Lauren "Whoosh." Probably more often than we call her Lauren. Somehow the name's just stuck.
14 comments:
i havent read it yet. i just need to be first. FINALLY! i love you most.
Finally :) I've been waiting for this post. And we missed you last night. You baby hoard :)
Tyson is going to watch Abby either tomorrow or Friday so I can come harrass baby whoosh.
how sweet lindy- I am so glad you posted this:) I wanna see picks of lil whoosh though
Okay, I love it. I agree with the holy epidural! What a fun mom, she's lucky to have you.
Why has nobody said - "Lindy, are you on crack? That big paragraph above the comic made no sense."
I can tell you that she hasn't done any drugs but someone should have asked. Apparently some of the sentences got mixed up in Lindy's editing, not in her head.
Well Kelly, Nate and I thoroughly enjoyed piecing the paragraph together correctly. It has helped us bond and grow together in marriage. Thanks Lindy for all the help!!!
Too funny, I did kind of think Lindy must have been a little doped up still, or just plain in early motherhood mode...but in the end it all pretty much made sense :) I'm so glad that your birth was a good experience. Thanks for sharing.
It was a fun kind of puzzle! :) Lindy, I'm so glad that everything is going well! I just wish I could come over and visit and see you and little Whoosh!
AWWWWWWWWw miss you guys!! Seriously need more pictures.. maybe a video.. maybe a phone call. Love ya! You are such a fabulous mom already and I love that you loved delivery.
Finally! The labor story. I've been on the verge of calling you so many times for it but not wanting to bug you. Don't know how much longer I can hold out...
I'm very pleased that I got quoted on your blog. I'm also really happy you posted about your birth experience. My first labor was quite similar to yours as described here. I dealt with the contractions pretty well for the first 36 hours, and then...well....I got a little tired.
Anyway, I also feel ya about the parenting books. You've got one person saying, "If you let your child sleep in your bed with you, you'll regret it FOREVER!!!" And someone else saying, "Throw away that crib and buy a king sized bed. Invite all the kids in. Best thing you'll ever do for the family." Or someone will be all, "Nurse your baby every time he or she seems the least bit distressed," while someone else is like, "You've got to take charge of that young'un now! YOU decide when they eat! And by that I mean, everything four hours or else!"
A book that DID help me out quite a bit with Soren is "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer." She's a little know-it-all-y sometimes, but it's mostly a sensible middle-of-the-road approach to parenting with some very practical solutions to common baby problems.
Anyway.
That is all. Sorry for the novel-esque length.
OMG - This terrified me and excited me all at the same time! haha. Glad to hear it went so well...and I'll say it again - she is SOO freaking cute! can't wait to see her, and you in person...when are you coming??!!
That's a good question, when are you coming? And what is back labor...am I the only one who doesn't know what that is? Am I also the only one that has no idea how many centimeters you want to be so that while I could keep up with the story based on time, I was like "oh, wow, 7 cm...um, great, yeah..." And names do stick, hence Kitten rather than Jasmine. Yes, I did just compare your child to a cat.
Yes, that long paragraph was so much fun to read, Kelly! I loved it! I was like, this is not the Lindy I know, but it is the Lindy I love! Totally cracked out! (just kiddin Lind).
Thank you for this birthing story. I'm totally impressed with you, Lindy. You're a champ.
Cherise de Jesus
Post a Comment