Sunday, March 30, 2008

Oh deer

Kelly took this picture on Wymount grounds, on the hill behind the housing.

Sorry for the lame pun of a subject, but welcome to the first installment of what I will miss about Wymount. (Look at me delivering on my blog promises. Incredible!)

Early in my Wymount career when I still thought this place was the pits, I was driving up the hill toward our parking lot, when suddenly I had to stop for a group of about 10 deer crossing the road right in front of me. Some of you may consider this an inconvenience, but I didn't.

Next to Siberian tigers, deer are my favorite non-domesticated animal. I don't know exactly what it is I love about them so much. Perhaps it's because they're so peaceful, or maybe I was heavily influenced by Bambi as a child. At any rate, I am a fan of deer. (Mandy, what could this mean that I am a cat person and a deer person?)

I haven't seen a group of deer so big since that fateful drive home--sometimes it takes something extra to get my attention. But sure enough every winter the deer come down from the mountains and a few of them pick Wymount as their local hot spot.

Nevermind that Provo real estate development (including Wymount) has infringed upon their territory. I'm just glad we didn't completely drive them away. In the winter I like to tell myself I live in a cozy cabin in the woods, and the deer accent this illusion beautifully.

7 comments:

Brittney said...

Cozy cabin in the woods... haha..good one..

but really I love the deer too. They like to hang out in front of our apartment, and we scare them away up the hill when we come up the walkway.

Tara said...

now are there deer in seattle? you really could stay for another year

Sharon said...

I'm glad your deer experience was a good one. One night I was heading home from babysitting and a deer scared me out of my mind! :)

New Beginnings. said...

it must be bambi...yeah I think it was bambi

Kent said...

I read the title and threw up in my mouth a little bit. Hahahaha, j/k of course. I actually thought it was a very Kentworthy title. I'm rubbing off on you!

Sparks Family said...

Seriously nothing compares to Wymount!! But the weird thing is that once you leave its like 'your out'. Calling people who are still there... its just not the same. Thats why I love the blogs! I don't comment all the time but i check in with your blog all the time. You will miss wymount and youre right you won't have the same experience again. But thats life and at least we had the experience. love you lindy!

The Ballard Family said...

I need to get out more. Where are these deer that everyone is seeing????