Monday, March 17, 2008

Wymount


Laura Sparks recently asked how Kelly and I feel about leaving Wymount. I'll let Kelly speak for himself, but I'll let Bob Wiley speak for me:

"Dizzy spells, nausea, cold sweats, hot sweats, fever blisters, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, blurred vision, involuntary trembling, dead hands, numb lips, fingernail sensitivity..."

If you picture me rubbing my temples and telling myself, "I feel good. I feel great. I feel wonderful," you're not too far off.

Okay, so some of this anxiety is the the happy kind. I love Seattle and am itching for fresh adventures there. It's just that if you had told me three and a half years ago my enthusiasm would be mixed with bittersweet nostalgia about leaving Wymount, I initially would have laughed in your face. Then I would have curled up in the fetal position in fear of impending brainwashing, as I thought only a complete loss of identity could lead me to actually like this place.

Yep. I had a great attitude. But I came by it honestly. I was a transplant from Arizona State University where I partied it up at the biggest party school in the nation...or not. Still, even as a good ASU Mormon girl, BYU came as quite a culture shock. Many refer to Provo, UT as "the bubble," a place protected from and oblivious to the rest of the world. If that is the case, there is a nesting dolls affect within the bubble: Provo is the outermost casing, BYU campus comes next, and Wymount is the bubble within all bubbles. I cannot entirely blame myself for not being able to breath easy at first.

All I knew about Wymount before I moved in was it's reputation as "the rabbit hutches." Upon arrival, it seemed like The Mormon Student Stepford Wives with picture-perfect newlyweds all roughly the same age, religion and life circumstance. My apartment is identical to my neighbors' apartments on the inside, and our apartment buildings, laundry facilities and chapel all look remarkably similar from the outside. They're all nestled on a hill next to the Provo Temple and the Missionary Training Center, which they also resemble. Some call it "paradise." I called it "the compound."

But thanks to time and a some priceless personal miracles, mostly in the form of friendships, the compound has entirely transformed for me. Now I call it home.

I'm not going to go into what I love about Wymount just yet. Surprisingly, it's quite a list, and since I'm usually the type to make long stories even longer, I'll spare you the whole thing all at once. Instead, I will periodically reflect on bits and pieces I will miss about Wymount, one at at time, in future posts.

Of course, Wymount has its quirks I do not mind leaving behind. I may throw those in the mix as well--you know, things I will love to miss. But in the end, it all adds up to a once-in-a-lifetime location I will never come close to experiencing again.

There's no place like my home.

15 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm so glad you've been here! Your friendship has also been important to my liking Wymount! What a journey it has been. :)

Sarah said...

Your blog is so cute and you have such a perfect way of putting things. I can't wait to read more as your journeys continue! Love ya - Sarah & Tyler & babies

Brittney said...

sooooooooooo... awwwww I don't know what to say! Don't make me start crying! I'm vulnerable cuz I'm home alone! haha...

As my countdown for graduation on gmail continues.. I realize the countdown is also counting down my time here at Wymount, and my time with you. :( Can we be BFFs for reals? like not just fake BFFs, but real ones? :)

k.. I'll hold my other comments for your other posts about Wymount. And dang, you are a good writer.

The Ballard Family said...

Another year too quickly gone. A tear...

Margaret said...

It's so true. We were very sad to leave, and discover how hard it is to make friends in the ward when you don't live right-right next to everyone!

Mauri said...

DO you know y I'm sad you're leaving wymount??? Because then you're leaving utah! Lindy, Lindy, Lindy... can we please get together soon!?

Mandy said...

Now you've gone and made me all misty-eyed, dang it! ;-) Really though--Wymount is the place you love to hate and hate to leave. You're making me feel all panicky about dealing with all of those "moving on" feelings and we're not even moving until next year!

Tara said...

You could always stay for another year!

Calley said...

Ohhh Tronny. I see salt, but I don't see a salt substitute.
Wymount is a great place, and you penned your feelings very well. I know you shall miss Wymount, as I do from time to time, but I am excited for you to pack your Wymount time into a little burlap sack and head out to Seattle...!

Cameron and Katie said...

Lindy, I KNOW! I was so strongly opposed to ever living in Wymount and we moved in it took us a full YEAR to get to know anyone in the ward besides the people in our stairwell. I was afraid of them all, they were all so "perfect." I had no idea that I would get 5 YEARS to learn to love Wymount, and as much as I LOVE that I am no longer in that itty bitty apartment, I miss our old home, with all our "people."

Anna said...

Amen to all of that. It's weird how Wymount grows on you. But congrats on your new job and new chapter of life. Have fun!

Jenna said...

You pretty much summed up my impression of Wymount. I've honestly never been there, but I've certainly thought of it as you once did. You have such a good attitude, though. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it while you were there. I'm still so jealous you're going to reside in Seattle.

New Beginnings. said...

I love you Lindy- you should try writing in like journalism or writing book or something- I love your witty writing style.

Brittney said...

Can I just tell you I went back through this post and read it a few more times since the first time? Partially because I had nothing else to do and was hoping you'd posted something new - true - but also, you are one heck of a writer.

Remember how we were talking about talents the other night? I wish I had your talent of writing. It is SO cool that you can express yourself in such a witty way while at the same time painting such a descriptive picture.

Rachel said...

Ah Lindy, if I hadn't been afraid to leave my apartment and talk to other human beings during my BYU years, we could have been the best of friends! I totally share in your Wymount ambivalence. It was such a mixed bag for me. Some days I'd be like, "This place is like Zion! I love it!" And then other days I'd be all, "I hate all these freaky freaky perfect people! How long till we leave this hole?"

Also, you have a delightful and rollicking writing style.