Monday, January 26, 2009

No baby yet, but here's an update

The following is an actual picture of my current brain matter:

Yes, it's true. I'm finally getting anxious to have this freaking baby. It's taken me a while to get to this point though. Like 39 weeks.

Don't get me wrong. I've wanted a baby for a while now, much longer than I've been pregnant. But something happened when I actually got pregnant--I don't know what--that made it seem much less real to me....even though it's been more real than ever. It's hard to explain. Somehow I haven't been able to connect everything that's been happening with my body with a new little friend joining the Layland family. I think I'm finally getting there though, and I'm really excited to meet this little girl and find out what she's all about. I've prepared myself for her to initially be mostly about eating, burping, sleeping and pooping. But baby steps to that unfolding personality, right?

Part of the reason I haven't updated much on the pregnancy is because, aside from the first trimester, everything's gone really smoothly. I've had a few aches and pains as my bones have made room to cradle and extra person, but those were short-lived. Even now at 39 weeks I'm waiting for this third trimester to be as uncomfortable as I've heard it can be. I'm not trying to brag. I'm just baffled at how generally great I'm feeling. All I can really say is, yep, I'm getting bigger. Pass the cookies.

My height may have something to do with lack of discomfort, and for that I thank my lucky stars. Perhaps another part of it is because there is a merciful God who knows this daughter of His is a world class procrastinator....er, I mean, works fantastically under the pressure of a deadline. He's certainly blessed me with the energy and clarity I've needed to get things done around here. These past couple of weeks Kelly and I have transformed our little apartment into a place that will actually hold this little girl and her fans comfortably, or at least without us tripping all over each other. I know they say you can never be truly ready for a new baby, but at least I can rest knowing I've done all I can to help make the transition a little less logistically crazy.

So there you have it. The getting-close-to-the-due-date update. No numbers to report as of yet, but we have another doctor's appointment tomorrow. Perhaps then I'll have some cold hard facts to post rather than creepy words describing parts of my body I don't want to talk about.

13 comments:

Holly said...

Hey guys, found you through our crazy lefty friend. Nice to hear you are feeling good, I have to say you really are looking good! My friend is due in two weeks and is crazy huge and dealing with serious hypertension issues. I have no idea what it's like to have a baby, but based on what I've heard and seen you are right to count your lucky stars!

Mauri said...

AWESOME!

Sarah Roberts said...

wow! I m so excited for you guys- it is so soon now!

Tara said...

I hope little Lauren comes out with a mohawk just like those little babies!!! I am so anxious for you as well! You will be a great mommy!!!!

Brittney said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYY!! Thanks for the update. I can't wait to hear the news that you've had sweet little Lauren. Count your lucky stars. My sister is dying - no sleep, uncomfortable. The dr. says her baby is 7 lbs already and her due date isn't for another 3.5 weeks!! eeks! So glad you are feeling comfortable and generally great. What a relief.

Calley said...

:) Look at all these fans that are so happy you posted. We also can't wait for small Lauren to "jump" out of your tummy. Sorry I was a big d-bag and forgot to call this morning. When I dropped Summer off at school it was frrrreezing and mentally I called you when I said "Sick! We're NOT walking in this weather!" So I'm very sorry, I thought I sent the call through mental signals. What day do you want to walk? Or run, or jump squat, or what? :)

Calley said...

P.S. I will have my phone at the ready for when you need to call so in case we need to babysit Kelly :)

Scott and Danielle said...

Good luck Lindy! We are excited for you. Can't wait to get the updates!
Love,
Danielle and Scott Kershaw

Sharon said...

I'm so glad everything's been going so well! I can't wait to see this wonderful cute little baby that's soon to join your family!

Eric Layland said...

i feel like i check your blog daily, but apparently 40 other people read and post first. so picture how much i love you, and then realize 40 people are faster at it. sad, but true.

also. baby brain. pass the cookies. yes. "pass the muenster cheese. " that's what i'll say when i'm pregnant. that and "feel my belly." that's why i can't have babies. i'd be one of those creeps who stands in line at walmart and tells strangers to feel my belly. or kids at the library. or nuns on a street corner. they'd all feel my belly. because i want a culturally smart child. why wait to introduce them to the different people in the world. FEEL MY BELLY.

also. 9 days. how joyful. and wonderful. and i cannot wait to go see the little BEEBY. beeeeebies. miss you. i may miss you slowly, but i miss you more than these other folks.

The Ballard Family said...

Oh my goodness! Your pregnancy just flew by for me so I'm glad that it has been going great for you too! #1 the picture of all of the plastic babies scared me a little and then my eyes focused. #2 So exciting!!!!!

Darla said...

Lindy Lue, I'm so proud of you!

Sarah said...

zero days, holy cow.