Friday, April 18, 2008

A cozy little nest and a great big shout out

By far the biggest stressor for me about moving to Seattle has been finding a place to live. Even thinking about finding a place to live. The old nesting instinct must be kicking in or something because I'm no longer okay with living just anywhere.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a princess about it. I was just looking for an affordable place that feels like home. And by "looking" I mean "desperately scouring Craigslist about every ten minutes."

But luckily, the panic paid off, and Kelly and I are officially the proud renters of a condo in Seattle, which means we get to pay a little more than twice as much for a little less space than we're living in now! Yipee-hooray!!!

Okay, so that could sound ungrateful. I'll just have to add cheap housing to the list of things I will miss about Wymount.

Miraculously, though, this condo is the first place we saw available for June and it's just what we were hoping for. It's in the city enough to keep options open for me for....whatever I end up doing, far enough north to cut out the nasty traffic on Kelly's commute, walking distance to grocery stores and bus lines so we can remain a one-car family, dishwasher, great neighborhood, cat friendly ;). My only concern was the size of the place, but my mom pointed out that it's not small, it's cozy.

The couple we're renting from is extremely cool. When I went up last weekend to check out the place in person, they spent several hours taking me to lunch and showing me around the neighborhood--it was a lot of fun. Plus they knocked $100/month off their asking price which made it a really good deal, and the break in rent will definitely help us out.

Speaking of helping us out, I'd like to give a shout out to Calley and Tyson Soptich who were indispensable in this whole process. When I asked her if she could maybe "scout out" the place sometime, Calley said, "I shall put on my Webelos outfit and I can drive by it this afternoon or tomorrow and see if its ghetto fabulous or a nice place." (For those of you who don't know what a Webelos outfit looks like, Calley, my favorite scout, is modeling it on the left.)

Not only did she drive by and determine that the neighborhood wasn't ghetto fabulous, she scheduled a time with the owners to see the place. Then she and Tyson helped evaluate housing prices in the area to see if it was a good deal. Then they let me stay at their house when I flew up to see it myself, even though it was a crazy busy weekend for them. It was so fun to hang out with them even for just a few short hours. They totally helped take the edge off my many anxieties about signing our lives away for a year. Thank you thank you thank you Soptichs!

Oh, and the icing on the condo cake? It's in the Soptich's ward. Kelly and I just couldn't stay away...

Three cheers for good friends and not being homeless!

13 comments:

Calley said...

Once again, an LOL! You outdid my microsoft paint. I loved it, even if it gave me further issues with my stegosaurus complex (note the size of my head versus neck) but I still heart you all the same. And we're in the same ward! I'm patting myself on the back :).

Sharon said...

Hooray! Congratulations! What a relief!

Brittney said...

Yay! you have a home! I'm so sad though at the same time. Only two more weeks as neighbors? We really need to go to that steak place as a final bash... maybe Wed night? I wonder if Kent will be done with his test.

Sarah said...

Sweet hook-up! So happy you have one less thing to worry about. Moving is so, so, so, so stressful. I am very sad you'll be gone in June. I'll just miss you by a few weeks.

Sarah Roberts said...

that's awesome Lindy!

The Faller's! said...

It was so good to see you and how random that my sister and your husband graduated together. Anyway, I'm glad you found a place to live and I hope you guys enjoy Seattle.

Margaret said...

Yea, Lindy! I'm so glad you found a place! We're flying up in 2 weeks to do the same!

Shelly said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Hey, Nick is looking for your address. I got your Ymount one from Lesa, but I don't think he's sending them out until after you move. Do you think you could get that to me or him so you can get your wedding invite? Tell your hubby hi for me!

Rachel said...

Lindy! Kelly! Where are you? Where have you gone? It's been so long since you've posted.

Andersons "Stand Sure" said...

Hey Lindy,
I came back from my son's graduation and I can't find you to say good-bye=( I will feel awful if I have missed getting one more Lindy hug. You know that I will aways want to know where you are and how life if going for you. I hope that I see you this Sunday. Much love,
Sister Anderson~

Andressa said...

Lindy, I'm so glad that we can keep in touch! We are going to miss you guys!!! I hope you have fun at the new place!!!! Thank you for being a great neighbor and friend! And, by the way, your blog is so cute!!!!!

Kent said...

2 months and counting since the last update....c'mon Skibs and Nubs. I still can't remember which is which?

Bethany said...

Lindy!

We're here too! We're back in the 1st ward though, so we won't see you at church, but send me an email so we can get together sometime.

p.s. I am SO excited for The Little Whoosh Whoosh! :)