Monday, June 18, 2007

Um, is the bread on fire?

About a week ago we had the missionaries over for dinner. Lindy had planned a pasta bar where everyone can pick out the toppings they want on their pasta, what kind of sauce, etc, and then have it all heated up and mixed together. She also decided it would be fun to have some garlic bread and some cheese bread to go with the pasta. We all thought that was going to be a good idea and the bread looked delicious when we put it in the oven, but that was all going to change.


Two or three minutes later one of the missionaries, Elder Kehl, looks in the oven window and says, "Um, is the bread on fire?" I looked towards the oven and could see a bright orange glow coming from inside it. Sure enough, somehow the bread caught on fire. We opened up the oven door and got a good look at the flaming bread. Our kitchen is really small and there were five people in it at the moment so I shut the oven so people could move out of the way while I cleared an area on the stove top to place the burning bread pan once it was out of the oven. When I opened up the oven the second time the flames were big enough to be licking out of the oven door. If I hadn’t been so worried about possibly burning down the house we are renting it would have been pretty cool to watch these flames coming out the oven. I used a knife to push the bread away from the edge of the pan so I could grab it without burning myself. Then I used some wet rags and a small hot pad to pull the pan out and throw it on the stove top. Almost immediately the smoke alarm went off in the hallway so we ran to turn that off. In the meantime, the bread caught on fire again because I forgot to turn the stove top off all the way before putting the bread pan on it. So I turn of the stove top and carry the pan and bread outside so that the smoke will no longer be filling up the room. We put the flames out, opened all the windows in the house, and then waited outside for a while so the smoke could clear. It was surprising how quickly the house filled up with smoke. It was enough to make breathing uncomfortable in the kitchen. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to wake up if your house was on fire and filling with smoke. All in all it was an exciting dinner and I'm sure that the missionaries can't wait to come back to our house for dinner again.

6 comments:

Ginger said...

What? No pictures? Just kidding. Lindo, you are so domestic! I bet the pasta bar was a giant hit once the smoke cleared.

Mandy said...

Those are AWESOME awesome pieces of charcoal! I'll admit that I have oven fires, oh...about every other week...but I have yet to get something as impressive looking as that out of the deal.

Calley said...

Ohhh your wife Lindytron and her culinary ways. At least the pasta was smashing right? Oh this made me laugh. Great times.

Kent said...

Haha, you said Flaming Bread!

Now you're in the missionaries book of families not to eat with! j/k

Anonymous said...

You guys might be glad to know that I kept a set of cookie sheets you got for your wedding. Since you are burning them up, you may appreciate the new ones! Love, Mom

Brittney said...

wow, burning bread...... I wish I was there! It seems like it would be pretty hard to burn bread, so good job on that one. :)