Kello has previously mentioned that he's into birds, so for part of his birthday weekend we indulged his inner little old lady and went back to Discovery Park for a Fall Bird Tour. A dozen people showed up, three of whom were male, and Kelly was the only one the three without gray hair.
Our guide (whose English accent really added to the effect of being in a live nature show) first took us first to the beach to watch water fowl. Then we went to the forested areas to see the woodland birds.
I must say, the ol' birds put on quite a show, especially the bald eagles who swooped in four-at-a-time to circle their prey. I watched through binoculars while Kelly used his camera's telephoto lens to get a closer look. He got some pretty good shots considering his subjects were kind of far away and almost constantly moving.
We saw over 30 different kinds of birds in two hours. Let's see if you recognize any of the following five. (The first should be pretty easy):
(1)


(5)

Answer Key:
1) Bald Eagle
2) Double Crested Cormorants
3) Bushtit!
4) White Crowned Sparrow, first winter
5) Song Sparrow
It is quite endearing how much Kelly appreciates nature's little details. He really is cut out for birding. He's got a great memory for classification, a good eye and ear for locating the little guys, and a lot of patience. Turns out I, who am not as well-equipped--especially in the patience department--enjoy it too. I have been amazed at how many different kinds of birds I have passed by on a regular basis without proper notice.
Birding also works out well because we both love spending time together outdoors (if you haven't already noticed), and this is yet another activity to keep us out and about. So go ahead and think we've turned prematurely *elderly. We know we're not very normal, but we wouldn't have it any other way.
*To our blog readers in their 60's who are also into birds (a'hem, Mom Lauritsen!), we mean this in the best of ways.
1) Bald Eagle
2) Double Crested Cormorants
3) Bushtit!
4) White Crowned Sparrow, first winter
5) Song Sparrow
It is quite endearing how much Kelly appreciates nature's little details. He really is cut out for birding. He's got a great memory for classification, a good eye and ear for locating the little guys, and a lot of patience. Turns out I, who am not as well-equipped--especially in the patience department--enjoy it too. I have been amazed at how many different kinds of birds I have passed by on a regular basis without proper notice.
Birding also works out well because we both love spending time together outdoors (if you haven't already noticed), and this is yet another activity to keep us out and about. So go ahead and think we've turned prematurely *elderly. We know we're not very normal, but we wouldn't have it any other way.
*To our blog readers in their 60's who are also into birds (a'hem, Mom Lauritsen!), we mean this in the best of ways.


11 comments:
LOL:)
My parents are "Birders." As are all of my Dad's brothers. All of them have grey hair. Now you, like them, can start collecting bird feeders to hang outside and change migratory routes, and all kinds of bird decor to place in your home. My grandma even decorated her Christmas tree with all bird ornaments. I will keep my eye out for some bird fabric for some throw pillows for you.
so funny.. but cool too. I think anyone is cool who can appreciate nature. Even Kent is learning to do a little more nature appreciating. It's amazing how you change as you get older in your likes and activities, isn't it?
My Dad is into birds too, but even though he's in his 50's, he has liked birds since he was first married. You're in good company, my friends. :)
Also, Nathanael likes to watch the birds by our house too, but only because he thinks they're airplanes!
I say hip hip hurray for elderly hobbies (um, like knitting, which I do). P.S.---good song choice--Jake & I really like The Eels.
I thought we were the one who moved to live among the old people here in St. George...shouldn't we be the ones getting more "elderly" ?
what an adorable bushtit. such a crisp photo of a bushtit is rare. and you mastered it so tastefully. oh bushtits.
also. lindy how do you put just a single song in a post. as my blogging mentor, i need your help in that area.
I guessed bird on all five and got them all right!
Quality post Laylands - You had me at "little old lady". I love little old ladies! I like that your into birds Kelly. I guess its time for me to admit that I really enjoy doing crossword puzzles while drinking Postum.
I love it.
Wow, I was getting bored just reading about it...ha ha. I think bald eagles are cool. And who doesn't like to get a good look at a bushtit (or even better, a pair of bushtits) now and then but otherwise, I'm thinking I will leave the bird watching to you. I know lots of nice old people, I just never knew that you were one of them.
Post a Comment